Slip, Trip and Fall Claims

If you have had an accident where you have slipped, tripped and fallen, then you could jopin many people in the UK in making a compensation claim for it. You will have to be able to show that the accident happened because someone else was negligent though. If it was your own fault or just coincidence, then no compensation will be given but if you tripped on a loose pavement, for example, the local authority would be responsible for that. So if any accident where a slip, trip or fall has resulted in injury was not your fault, then compensation should be sought.

What to Do After Suffering a Injury From a Fall

It is most important to see a doctor as soon as possible after having a fall. You may need emergency treatment, but if not, go to your GP as soon as you can. This is both because you need to find out how much of an injury you have, but also to get evidence. You will need to prove that you were injured and when you were injured if you want to make a compensation claim and without medical records, you will not be able to do this. If you do feel it was someone else’s fault, then you should contact a personal injury solicitor once medical attention has been sought.

How To Claim if it Was due to negligence?

Once you have sought medical treatment and have records proving you were injured, then you will be able to contact a solicitor. They will be able to discuss the case with you and let you know whether they can take on the case. They may even be able to take it on a no win no fee basis which will mean that you will not have to pay fees if the case is lost.

Improving Your Chances of success

The solicitor will be able to tell you how likely the case is to be successful, although every case is different, so there is never any guarantee either way. Any other evidence provided can help as well, things like reports from witnesses or photographs taken at the time of the accident. You also need to make the claim within three years of the accident taking place.

How to Make a Claim

Many compensation claims involve slips, trip or falls and so it is common for people to receive compensation for this. If someone negligence has led to your injury, then you should be able to make a claim. However, it is necessary to prove that someone had a responsibility for you in that circumstance and therefore you can claim that the injury was preventable by them. However, if the person you are claiming form has no insurance or no money to pay, then it may be pointless.

When Can a Claim Be Made?

Personal injury claims can be split into public and private. Property that is open to the public is easier to claim on, because the land owner or business owner has responsibility for the public on their property and will usually have insurance to cover them should a claim be made. This is the same with council owned land or property including within housing rented form the council or local authority. However, if the tenant is at fault and a third party is injured, it will only be worth pursuing should they have the means to pay for the compensation. A solicitor will be able to help with this decision.

If an accident is on private land then it could still be worth talking to a solicitor about the case. However, it is less likely that the person will be able to afford to pay out compensation. However, if the land is a place of work, then legally the employer has to pay.

What Injuries Might be Associated With Slips, Trips and Falls

The types of injuries can vary a lot. Some may not be serious enough for a claim, but it is better to discuss the injury with a solicitor as they will know whether it is serious enough or not. It is better not to just guess.

It is often that twists or sprains can occur to ankles, legs and arms. Backs can be injured as well and even fingers. They can even lead to brain damage, lack of mobility and death. It is therefore good to pursue a claim, even if you were not injured that seriously, because it should help to improve the situation for others and may prevent more serious injury in the future.

When Can Compensation be Claimed

It is best to put in a claim as soon as possible. There is only three years allowed before a claim can be made and this begins when the injury is discovered. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but it is best to proceed sooner rather than later, as if extra time might be granted, the solicitor will be able to deal with that.

What Action Should Be Taken

After you have had an injury, if you want to make a claim you nee dto be able to prove that someone was negligent. You should also get details of any witnesses and make a note of what happened. It is good to write an account as soon as you can as details may start to fade if you do not note it down soon after the event. Taking photographs can be very useful if possible. Many people have mobile phones with a camera on these days and even just getting a picture of the cause of the accident can be very useful. It can even be useful to put something else in the picture to show perspective, even if it is your hand or foot.

How is Compensation Awarded?

It is necessary for the injured party to prove that the negligent person had a duty of care for them. This is easy to prove in work cases but may not always be so easy, which is why a personal injury solicitor is needed to see whether it is worth pursuing the case. They will see what evidence exists and decide whether it is worth it.

The injured person will then have to prove that their injury was caused due to negligence of this person or body that had care of duty for them. Analysis will be done to see whether they did everything they reasonably could to protect the person from accident.

Of course, it is not all about the money, but bringing a case to court can also help to prevent this sort of accident happening to anyone else as that person or organisation will be more careful in the future.